Using data from a major national survey conducted in 44 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have created this infographic showing the impact of caregiving for American Indian and Alaska Native people.
- 1 in 3 American Indian and Alaska Native adults are caregivers
- Over half have provide care for at least 2 years
- Almost half provide care for at least 20 hours per WEEK
- 60% of caregivers are women and the vast majority are under 65 years old
- Only 1/3 are caring for a parent or parent-in-law (meaning most are caring for someone else)
- Caregivers help by:
- Managing household tasks (80%)
- Providing help with personal care such as bathing, bathroom, etc. (Over 50%)
- 1 in 6 people who aren’t current caregivers expect to become one in the next 2 years
Who is a "caregiver"?
Click to learn more!